I know that the title is a little confusing, but it got you here…didn’t it ;-). I am always looking for ways to make the dinner hour easier without having to resort to the ‘ol takeout standby and at the same time feed our family of 5 on budget! One way that I am able to do both is by thinking outside of the box. When I make my weekly Meal Plan and grocery list on Thursday evenings I scan through my local grocery store flyers looking for what is on sale and base my week’s meals off of those sale items! I cannot take credit for this as this was something that my mother taught me and this process has helped my family tremendously during some very lean times! I do my best to stay away from too much overly processed foods but once in a while I feel is not an issue, especially when it’s one sale!
For this recipe I used the Knorr Sidekicks that come in the envelope type packages. In order to feed my entire family (with a teenager included) I needed four packages. I refer to this dinner around the house as Sidekick Supper.
- 1lb of ground beef or chicken
- 4 packages of Knorr Sidekicks, any flavour
- 1-1/2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 an onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Brown ground beef or ground chicken in a medium saucepan.
- Add chopped onion and garlic to meat in pan.
- Add salt and pepper (if using).
- Put all four packages of the Sidekicks in the saucepan and add the milk/water as specified in the instructions on the packages (remember to add 4x the amounts).
- Keep stirring the mixture until it comes to a boil.
- Add the frozen vegetables, mix and cover.
- Continue to stir occasionally until noodles are tender and sauce thickens.
In my book this is a complete meal on it’s own but I wouldn’t deter you, if you wanted to add a salad or some other veggies on the side. It is tasty and easy and it’s of those meals where my kids don’t complain and every mom needs that once in a while!
Try it and let me know how it’s received in your household.
Until next time.