I was thinking of a clever way to use up some potatoes I had in my pantry and I wanted it to be something that the kids would enjoy without complaining (they only like their potatoes baked or mashed). I needed to create a recipe using ingredients that I already had on hand and I came up with this tasty delight…and did I mention quick and easy? This meal comes together in 20 minutes!
Just by saying bacon and cheeseburger in the same sentence you get a positive response from those in the room. Try it, ask your family if they would like to have bacon cheeseburger baked potatoes or liver loaf….. See…positive reactions to one…not so positive for the other! It is an effective experiment ;-).
Sometimes to get the meal on the table quickly I kinda cheat, by that I mean I use the microwave. These potatoes are microwave “baked”, I know that some home cooks would be mortified by this, but a busy girl…wife…mother….has gotta do what she’s gotta do! If you wish to bake your potatoes the “proper way” by all means.
Bacon Cheeseburger Baked Potatoes
- 4 to 6 baking potatoes, washed and scrubbed.
- 1 tsp Salt (plus extra for sprinkling on potatoes)
- Olive oil
- 1lb of ground beef
- 1/2 a tomato diced
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1tsp of garlic powder
- 1tsp of pepper
- 1 can of gravy or 1 cup of bbq sauce
- 6 slices of bacon cooked and diced
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese
- 2 Tbsp. of chopped chives
- Wash scrub and prick the potatoes several times with a fork, place in a microwaveable baking dish and drizzle with some olive oil and sprinkle with a little salt.
- Place baking dish in the microwave and cook on high for 6 minutes, pierce with fork to confirm doneness.
- Brown the ground beef add tomato, onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Stir in gravy or bbq sauce, let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place the potatoes on plates smash with a fork.
- Cover each potato with meat mixture then top with cheese, bacon and chives.
My go to side is a salad. I do buy the bagged salads they are quick in a pinch 😉 and this recipe comes together just as quickly. Try it and let me know what you think.
Until next time.