Oven Fried Chicken Breasts
Yes, Yes!! Not impossible and very much a thing! I have been experimenting with different coatings and batters for my oven fried chicken for some time now, but all the others just weren’t right. I finally hit on this recipe and it was AWESOME! One thing I never do is write down what I do or the amounts of what I use so results keep changing, so….I hope it works out for you when you try it because like I said, it is all in my head (which isn’t a good thing as I sometimes forget where I am going when I am driving?!?)
Anyway, I have used this recipe with chicken legs and backs but this particular time I used breasts. The issue with using chicken breasts (boneless/skinless), is that there is usually no fat on them and we need fat to fry anything so oil is added to the pan.
This recipe can go with any sides: salads, rice, noodles or even on a bun with some lettuce and tomato :-).
Oven Fried Chicken Breasts
- 5 large boneless/skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup of white vinegar
- ¼ cup of vegetable oil plus ½ cup (for pan)
- 2 tbsp. salt
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp. of garlic powder
- ¾ cup of all-purpose flour
- ½ cup of cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsps. of chopped chives
- Begin by filleting the chicken breasts (cutting them in half lengthwise so you end up with 2 identical thin pieces), now you have 10 fillets.
- Place in a large bowl and add vinegar, oil, 1 tbsp. of salt, 1 tsp of cayenne pepper and ½ a tbsp. of garlic powder, mix well and cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge.
- Set oven to 400° F
- Take a shallow pan (cookie sheet, depending on the size you may need 2) add the oil to the pan and place in the oven. Set timer for 20 mins.
- While you are waiting for the oil to heat up place flour, remaining salt, cayenne and garlic powder in a shallow bowl and mix well with a spoon. Spread out flour mixture in the bowl.
- Remove pan(s) from the oven. Place pieces of chicken one at a time into the flour mixture and cover well with mixture. Gently place chicken pieces in the pan.
- Return pan to oven and set the timer for 30 minutes, making sure to turn chicken at the 15-minute mark.
- Grate ½ a cup of cheese and chop the chives, put aside.
- Remove chicken from the oven and immediately place cheese on each filet and then add chives.
This recipe is versatile you could definitely use black pepper instead of cayenne, you could use mozzarella cheese instead of cheddar or parsley instead of chives….endless possibilities here!
When you try it please let me know what you think in the comments section.
What is, your favourite way to prepare chicken breasts?
Until next time!