As I type this I have to think of how crazy my life has become in the last few weeks! My father has been hospitalized for the last 2+ weeks and after many delays finally had surgery yesterday…major surgery! I have been back and forth to the hospital more in the last few weeks than I care to mention! My eldest son has started his football season, my daughter is working toward attending the Junior Olympics for track and field (which will require her to fast track the last few months of grade 5) and my youngest will be attending football camps within the next few weeks… whew! I know that I am not the only one who has to deal with hectic schedules and still find ways to feed the family while not having pizza 3 x during the week 😦 . After a while even the kids start getting sick of fast food.
So not to disappoint here is another recipe that can be whipped in about 20 minutes! No kidding!!! BTW this can be made ahead and frozen (in the very least the rice can be made ahead in batches and frozen in microwaveable containers).
Beef and Vegetables with Rice
- 1lb of ground beef
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 cups of frozen veggies (your choice)
- 2 Tsps of salt (or to taste)
- 2 Tsps of pepper (or to taste)
- 2 cups of beef stock
- 2 Tbsps of all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups of long grain white rice
- Place rice in a microwave safe bowl (I use a Corning ware casserole dish with lid).
- Rinse rice under running water and drain.
- Add 3 cups of water to rice and place in microwave for 10 minutes at 50% power. (Start on the beef half of this meal).
- When rice stops remove dish and stir place back in microwave for another 6 minutes on 50% power (All microwaves vary but this is usually enough to cook my rice). leave in the microwave until finished with the beef.
- Brown ground beef in a medium frying pan then add onion, garlic, salt and pepper to beef.
- Add frozen veggies to beef mixture and mix.
- Add flour to the beef stock and stir well, add to beef mixture and stir well.
- Cover and turn fire to low.
Put rice on all plates and top with the meat mixture. Or, place meat mixture in a large bowl set the table and voila dinner is done!
If you try this let me know what you think.
Until next time…take it easy. Remember to take care of yourself as you take care of the loved ones in your life…and BTW there is nothing wrong with takeout pizza…once in a while 🙂