So I kinda have some news that I have yet to share with you. A few months ago I decided that I would try the Paleo diet. I have to admit that it has been a rough ride. I decided to go this route because I suffer from a lot of autoimmune issues and I had thyroid surgery in 2013. I must admit, this Paleo thing is tough (especially when you have a non-paleo family!) What makes it even more difficult is that I am doing the AIP (Autoimmune Paleo) diet which is even more exclusive and on top of that I am allergic to nuts…so there is absolutely nothing left for me to eat! Then I bumped into a friend who is Paleo and she pretty much told me that I was crazy and that I needed to adjust the diet so it worked for me…she was right and I have.
One thing I am glad about is my rediscovery of avocado! Paleoites (I think that’s a word) use a lot of coconut, a lot of nuts and a lot of avocado in their meals! I always enjoyed avocado but I and my 10 year old daughter are the only ones who really enjoy it in my household, the boys…not so much, so I don’t buy it often. Since switching to this kinda, sorta paleo life I do pick it up more often from the store.
The other day I was looking through the fridge to quickly make something for my lunch and I was having difficulty. I saw 1/2 an avocado…ok this was a start, some english muffins (ok…so this is the non-paleo part) and in the freezer I located a bag with a few shrimp. I made up this quick sandwich.
I made this on the fly and I wasn’t planning on taking pictures and while I was taking the pictures all I wanted to do was EAT, so…I apologize for the very, not so great photos!
Shrimp and Avocado Sandwich
- 1 English muffin
- 1/2 an avocado
- 4-6 frozen uncooked shrimp
- 1/2 clove of garlic
- 2 slices of mozzarella or swiss cheese
- Heat a small frying pan to medium high (add a little olive oil if not non-stick). Place your shrimp in the pan with the garlic and salt (add some pepper to taste if desired).
- When shrimp just starts to turn pink slice avocado lengthwise in strips and add to to one side of the pan. Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt.
- Toast english muffin. Place avocado, pink shrimp and cheese on one half of the english muffin.
- cover with the other half of the english muffin and enjoy!
Absolutely loved this and it was quite simple. Enjoy.