I know that there are many people who have a difficult time with fish. The smell…the texture. My husband and youngest son (DJ who recently turned 8), are both turned off by fish. As my background is West Indian (my parents were/are Jamaican) fish was a fairly common staple food. As a kid I hated fish with a passion, but as an adult I learned to cook it in a way that I could appreciate the flavours (not just battered and deep fried! Although I do enjoy traditional fish and chips…soooo…good!) I also learned to put it with other foods that I enjoy so that there is a balance. Over the years I have seen my kids, and on occasion my hubby, come around to eating and even enjoying different types of fish!
We all know of the health benefits of eating fish…omega 3’s…low in fat…. My parents always called it brain food?!? Anyway, my goal here is to show you a quick, easy and delicious recipe that will make you want to add fish to your diet! Believe me it’s that good. I call this Salmon with Rice Pilaf.
Salmon with Rice Pilaf
- 4-6 pieces of Wild Salmon
- 2 tsps of salt
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of lemon juice
- 2 cups of white long grain rice
- 2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise or any canned cream soup
- 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
- Mix all seasonings with oil and juice in a medium sized bowl and whisk with a fork or spoon.
- Place fish pieces in a shallow bowl and pour oil mixture over top, flip fish pieces to ensure they are well covered with the mixture. Place in the fridge.
Cook rice how you prefer this is my quick method:
- Place rice in a large microwaveable container I never measure the water I do what my mother did and fill it to about 1/2 inch above the rice (approx. 4-5 cups).
- Cover and place in microwave for 10 mins at 50% power.
- When microwave beeps take out rice and mix (be careful as it will be very hot).
- Put back in microwave for 5 mins at 50%. When microwave beeps most of water should be absorbed, if not put back in for 1-2 mins.
- Add the 2 cups of mixed veggies and put back in the microwave for 2-3 mins on high.
- You can use an indoor (George Foreman type) grill, like I do, which is preferred or broil in the oven.
- Preheat your grill as per it’s instructions place fish on grill for 2-3 minutes.
- While fish is grilling add mayo or soup and cheese to rice and mix well.
Plate your rice and add fish on top of the rice. Sprinkle with some more parmesan if you wish.
I do try and be as healthy as possible, but I am not ridiculous with it. Make things easy and buy the frozen veggies and canned cream soup…I know…genius right! I make this for 5 people and it takes about 20-25 minutes! If you have an indoor grill you can even cook the fish from frozen, which I have done! (although it is much better if you marinate it with the dressing and seasonings not frozen).
Enjoy! Until next time