Day 3 – Chocolate Orange Shortbread Cookies
Another wonderful combo. I love dipping orange wedges in chocolate fondue! These cookies have only 5 ingredients and are easy to whip up, but they do take a little finesse to make and shape them….getting a little ahead of myself here. Let me link you to the recipe and then I will provide you with my tips and tricks to help you out.
I first made this recipe several years ago one Christmas because 1. it took up very little time and 2. it wasn’t ingredient heavy. Then I had a difficult time finding the chocolate orange (I think I waited and everywhere I went they were sold out. Who would have thought they were that popular?) This year a found them at Walmart and purchased before they were all gone, yes, I know what your thinking, I am smart…forward thinking…incredibly attrac… okay, enough already, I’m blushing
Here is the link to Terry’s Chocolate Orange Shortbread Cookies I notice that this recipe differs slightly from the one I have in my 10 year old beat up magazine. This one has margarine as the first ingredient and my recipe calls for butter, either will do as I have used both and I get similar results.
- This recipe calls for 1/2 cup of superfine sugar, not enough to warrant purchasing a box. What I did was put regular granulated sugar into the blender for a few seconds. Voila! Superfine sugar. Do not overdo it or you will end up with powdered sugar.
- The recipe calls for orange zest but does not tell you when to put it into the mix. I added it with the flour while blending.
- Okay, so it ain’t easy (excuse my vernacular :-)) putting these cookies together and making sure the chocolate stays inside! I don’t suggest doing it the way it is outlined in the recipe. Here is what I did:
- Make sure to make all 20 balls and lay them on your cookie sheets first.
- Take 1 ball at a time place on your palm and with the other hand flatten it like a pancake.
- place the halved chocolate in the middle and cover with the edges of the dough.
- reshape the cookie using the palms of your hands and fingers.
Really great cookie to make and eat 🙂 . Try it out and let me know.