I made an omelette with spinach the other day and had some spinach left over, what to do what to do with the leftover spinach??? I had to come up with something, it had to be interesting, tasty and the kids and hubby had to like it because once they saw that green spinach if the first bite wasn’t good then it was going to be a hard sell.
I came up with this recipe on my own on the fly but it is based on that wonderful Greek food called spanakopita, I just made a few additions. It went down well even though my 7 year old son immediately noticed the green and initially was adamant that he was not going to eat it, gobbled it up and would not admit to enjoying it (that’s ok, I watched him eat it and I KNOW he liked it).
Spinach and Feta Meat Pie
Pie Shell (or you could use store bought) I use this recipe that I discovered years ago and it is quick, easy and fabulous!
- 1lb. of ground beef
- small onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 2 cups of frozen spinach (defrosted and drained)
- 1 tsp of salt
- 2 tsps. of black pepper
- 2 tsps. of oregano
- 200g of feta cheese (drain off fluid)
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- (If making from scratch). Make pie crust, separate dough in half, roll out both halves, add one half to your pie plate and carefully set in plate. Set aside your pie plate and topping dough.
- Brown ground beef in a medium size frying pan. Add onion, garlic, spinach, salt, pepper and oregano, mix until well incorporated. Remove from heat and add feta cheese, mix again.
- Put filling into pie plate and place your topping dough on, pinch together the sides of your dough so that filling stays inside. Pierce the top dough with a fork for steam to escape.
- Bake for 30 mins. or until crust is nicely browned.
Voila! You have an easy healthy meat pie for dinner (and your kids will love it!) I served mine with a side salad (my easy go to vegetable).
Bon Appetit! (Good Eating)